Awbury Arboretum (55 acre) is a non-profit arboretum and estate, located at 1 Awbury Road, Germantown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Its grounds are free to the public every day. It was founded in 1916 and became a non-profit organization in 1984.
The Arboretum was established in 1852 by Henry Cope, who purchased the property. William Saunders, a noted landscape architect, helped to plan the grounds. Several houses were built on the property. All are now privately owned, with the exception of Francis Cope House (1860), which is now the Arboretum Headquarters. The arboretum was established by the Cope family in 1916. It became a non-profit organization in 1984.
The entire arboretum is located within the Awbury Historic District. This National Historic District was established in 2001.
The arboretum is arranged in open spaces with large clusters of trees and shrubs that frame long views. The arboretum has many mature trees including a State Champion River Birch, Betula nigra, and notable specimens such as American Linden (Tilia Americana), American Sycamore and Paper Birch.
Other trees in the collection include Acer rubrum, Amelanchier canadensis, Carpinus caroliniana, Chionanthus virginicus, Cornus alternifolia, Cornus amomum, Cornus florida, Corylus americana, Fraxinus americana, Fraxinus pennsylvanica, Liriodendron tulipifera, Nyssa sylvatica, Prunus serotina, Quercus alba, Quercus palustris, Quercus prinus, and Quercus rubra. Shrubs include Aronia arbutifolia, Aronia melanocarpa, Lindera benzoin, Viburnum dentatum, and Viburnum prunifolium.Philadelphia PA United States Mint
Contact Us Today For a Free Estimate!